Thursday, April 30, 2009

I am donating my Paul Newman drawing for a raffle at a fundraising spaghetti dinner for Sharon Karnafel, a friend of mine and the mother of a good friend of mine. She worked at K-Mart and Wal-Mart and is fighting cancer at the moment. The dinner takes place at the West Branch Masonic Temple next to the little league fields on Saturday, May 2 from 3-7pm. Tickets are $5 and raffle tickets are 5 for $1. The drawing is easily worth $200.
I started the drawing last Spring after Paul Newman passed away. I have not even finished the drawing, but this event has given me the perfect opportunity to finish it. I have been trying to figure out what to donate since I was asked to participate. Then it dawned on me: This is a worthy cause and Paul Newman, aside from being a cinematic legend, was also an honorable, charitable human being (Newman's Own dressing, popcorn, etc? Most, if not all, proceeds to go charitable causes). What better way to honor his memory and how better to help a friend in need?
Sharon and her son Steve have always been very close to me. I was at his wedding, he came to many of my art shows, and he was the first friend I made in Michigan after moving back from Colorado. He and his mother have had a difficult 10 years. I know no better way to show my support than by giving what I have to offer and to ask others to come for a $5 dinner for one evening.

No comments: