Friday, August 27, 2010

Remembered



Today's the date that brought the death of a great musician almost 20 years ago. Stevie Ray Vaughan is one of my favorite musicians in rock and blues. His voice, guitar and writing are very powerful to me. I've seen footage of him performing and my God, he was such a talent. What angers me about his death is that he cleaned up just before he died. He kicked drugs and booze, released a Grammy winning album ("In Step", with a somewhat autobiographical song "Wall of Denial") and should have continued a fantastic career. Much like Ronnie Van Zandt of Lynyrd Skynyrd, SRV died due to a plane crash. And like Ronnie, Stevie Ray kicked some habits that would have eventually killed him, only to deny the world another part of a powerful music career because of a plane crash. One other celebrity I enjoyed died as he got his act together and kicked drugs- Sam Kinison. He was on his way to or from his honeymoon with his new wife and got in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.
I can't play music and can't sing the songs, but I try to show my appreciation for certain musicians through my artwork, and these are tributes to the Great Stevie Ray Vaughan.

No comments: