Friday, July 18, 2008

Duke Art


Alright, pilgrims.

I am putting up one of my older and one of my favorite drawings up on Ebay, my John Wayne charcoal drawing from one of my favorite movies, "The Shootist". http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160262939364


This movie was John Wayne's last film. He found out in the early 70's that he had cancer. He beat it and did some movies, but either before or during the making of "The Shootist", the cancer returned. The film is about an aging gunslinger, or shootist, who finds out that he has cancer and doesn't have long to live. He chooses to stay in a small town that seems to have some old enemies in residence. The doctor who confirmed his illness, played by Jimmy Stewart, tells John Wayne (I'm paraphrasing here), "If I were you, and this is just me, I would not die the death I just described."

I thought it was a fantastic film and a perfect finale for John Wayne. This drawing is a personal favorite to me, and I hate to let it go, but I gotta do what I gotta do to keep the lights on.

No comments: